It’s no secret that posting regularly on Instagram will work wonders for your brand. But sometimes, it’s difficult to come up with ideas for engaging posts. That’s why we created this handy guide to get you out of your posting slump.
General Content Tips
If you want your content to shine, follow a few simple guidelines:
- Show your human side. Customers, fans, and followers love to see the people behind the brand or product, so don’t be afraid to show your human side!
- Diversify your content. Photos are great, but they aren’t the only content medium Instagram supports. Keep your content varied with a mix of videos, text, photos, and GIFs.
- Figure out your style. Do you post a lot of black and white content? Are you a foodie? Find your own content style and stick with it!
Unique Content 101
If you’ve been on social media for any length of time, you’ve undoubtedly heard a lot about the importance of unique content. You might be thinking you don’t have the time, skills, or resources to create unique content. That’s simply not true! Here are a few tips for creating unique typographic and photographic content for Instagram.
Typography is the visual representation of words – think infographics, logos, and stylized motivational quotes. Posting typographic content on Instagram is an excellent way to convey a direct message to your customers and followers. Creating unique, engaging typographic content isn’t rocket science, but there a few guidelines you should keep in mind.
- Use fonts which are free for commercial use. You probably already know about font licensing, but a little reminder never hurt. Using fonts which are not licensed for commercial use can land you in big trouble. Always check the license document in the download folder of the font you want to use.
- Make it colorful! But not too colorful. The content should be easy to read, and the colors you use should complement each other. Try to use harsh or bright colors sparingly. Here’s an excellent guide on using color in typography.
- Add minimal text, and make sure it’s centered on all sides. Instagram users don’t want to read a wall of text on an image, especially if they’re using their phones. Limit your textual content to two sentences maximum. A short phrase or single sentence is even better. It should also be centered vertically and horizontally.
Want more advice? Check out this comprehensive guide
Everyone knows what photography is, so we won’t bother with a definition here. You don’t need to be a master photographer to post engaging photo content on Instagram, but knowing a few tricks of the trade certainly won’t hurt.
- Emphasize the experience, not the product itself. If a new user stumbles across your Instagram and finds forty different photos of the same product, they’re unlikely to follow you. That’s because your content isn’t diverse or interesting enough. Your content should focus on the experiences and benefits your product provides, not just the product itself.
- Follow the "rule of thirds". Before you snap a ‘gram, take a second to turn on the grid feature of your camera. Your visual content should be divided into thirds, with the most important elements of the photo aligned correctly along the grid. Find out more about how the rule of thirds can make your visual content pop.
- Brainstorm a color or style palette. Using similar or complementary colors in all your photos will make your overall feed more attractive. Think about the colors in your logo or website, and try to incorporate them in every photo you post.
Instagram Post Ideas
Okay, so you know how to create content, but you’re still fresh out of post ideas. Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered there, too. The key thing to remember is to relate these ideas to your own brand or service to gain maximum engagement.
- Repost fan or customer content. This works especially well if you encourage your customers and followers to promote your brand using a custom hashtag. Plus, it means you hardly have to do any work!
- Contests. Giveaways and contests are a great way to drive engagement. Prompting your customers to like the giveaway post to enter will boost your post reach and engagement. Try adding a custom hashtag so your followers can post about it and spread the word.
- Trending hashtags. What’s trending at the moment? Is there any way you can make a trending hashtag relevant to your brand or business? You can’t monitor trending hashtags all the time, but if you ever see one you can use, add it to a post for increased engagement.
- Occasional motivational quotes. The word occasional cannot be stressed enough here. Motivational quotes can be somewhat bland, especially if they’re immensely popular. Try to find inspirational quotes which reflect or relate to your brand.
- Unique memes. One thing is true about social media users in 2017 – they love memes. And memes are an excellent marketing tool for brands because they’re shareworthy. Try making your own memes to give your followers a laugh.
- GIFs. Who doesn’t love a good GIF? The drawback of making your own GIFs is that it’s a little time consuming, and requires some Photoshop savvy. You can use a GIF service like Boomerang, which lets you easily create your own GIFs from video.
- Go live! Got an upcoming event that you want to promote? Taking advantage of the live feature on Instagram is a great way to do that! Plus, live video is considered exclusive content.
- Q&As. Give your followers a unique insight into yourself and your brand by answering their questions! How you choose to do this is up to you. You can allow followers to submit questions beforehand, which you’ll answer in a video post. Or you can host a live Q&A and answer questions in the comments. The possibilities are endless!
And there you have it – your handy guide to creating and posting on Instagram. Say goodbye to poster’s block.